Snuggling up with my children to read their bedtime story is a precious moment for me.
It’s a magical time watching them drift off to sleep. But imagine if that bedtime story took them to a future where people and wildlife thrive.
That future is one where a small country like Wales made a very big decision – to develop sustainably. So it’s making decisions that minimise loss of nature, help reduce climate change, and support fairer conditions and wages for people in Wales and all over the world. This story, this future, is the inspiration behind our latest project.
We asked Cardiff illustrator Laura Sorvala to bring that story to life in pictures. It’s based on the idea of a story being passed down to future generations.
Just imagine what story we could tell our children and grandchildren if we choose a sustainable future!
- Dwindling species thrive again. Wildlife and plants flourish. Our seas are full of healthy fish and the air is clean and clear of pollution. We live in harmony with nature.
- It’s a future where people live well, feel well and have their needs met. Other countries admire such ambition and want to follow Wales’ path to a brighter future.
- Schools and hospitals buy goods and services that are ethically and sustainably sourced. They minimise damage to nature and provide assurance that the people producing and distributing them are treated fairly.
- We take only our fair share of the food, energy and materials nature provides, and wasting little.
- We’re using more natural energy from renewable sources–like wind and solar—to heat our homes and run our businesses, and that’s created more green jobs.
- We’ve minimised our contribution to global climate change and secured a safer, more stable climate for our children to inherit. Wildlife thrives in this climate and we’re able to grow more of our own food.
Wasn’t that a lovely story? Wouldn’t it be even better if we made it come true?
I really hope and believe that it could.
You might have heard of the Wellbeing of Future Generations Bill. It’s a law that politicians are debating right now in the Welsh Assembly.
If they get this law right, it could make a massive difference and help deliver the things I’ve just talked about.
But we can’t take that for granted. The law needs changing first, to make it much stronger, so it actually makes a difference.
That’s why it’s so important that we spread the word and inspire people about what is possible.
Please let me know your hopes for the future in the comments below.
Add your voice – the future of Wales is in our hands!